Posted by Tiffy6666 | 2 comments

Generation Dead - Daniel Waters (Book Review)

Series: Generation Dead #1
Release Date: May 6th 2008
Pages: 392 
Genres: YA, Paranormal Romance, Zombies.


Blurb: 'Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush.  He’s strong and silent…and dead.  

All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring.  Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead.  But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn’t want them.  
            

The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the “differently biotic."  But the students don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing.  And there are no laws that exist to protect the “living impaired” from the people who want them to disappear—for good.  
            
When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team.  Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her.  But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy? '

Cover: Oooh creepy black rose! Immediately attracted to this book because A) It's not black (Nearly all of my books have black covers) and B) I love the flower, is it dead or not? That is the question this book poses about the 'differently biotic' students so I thought the cover was extremely clever!

Plot: As much as I loved the book has a whole, nothing really happened in it. It was more of a soap opera than a mystery. So the plot line could have used a bit of work, it mainly centers on this girl, Phoebe, and whether or not she's attracted to this 'differently biotic' guy Tommy. But by the end I still can't figure out if she really does love him or if she's just fascinated by him. 

Likes: I liked the characters. Loved Phoebe as she isn't your regular, blonde, popular student. Firstly she's a goth, secondly she's not popular(One of the other characters frequently calls her 'Morticia Scarypants' which I find hilarious.) I liked Tommy and Adam equally so I'm really not 'Team' anyone at the mo. But I could be convinced ;) I liked the sense of danger we get when the author writes from Pete's POV. You know me, I hate different POV's in a book but this was different. It added to the tension of the book as you could see into the brain of an absolute psycho, and how he justifies himself. 

Dislikes: The only character I didn't like was Phoebe's besto Margi. She's such a whiner. Here we have all these kids who have DIED and she's whining over how she doesn't know how she'll ever be able to talk to them. How she isn't even sure whether or not to consider them as actual people. Don't even get me started on the whole Margi & Collette plot-line. I'm hoping she goes off to college or something in the next book as she's such a deadweight (If you'll pardon the pun :P)

Verdict: I'm going to give this one a 7/10 as it's action-packed, poses a couple of deep questions(especially about equality, prejudice and stereotypes) and has many moral characters.

Favourite Quote: This one struck me like nothing else, as I suppose I never really considered this point of view. This was an angry letter written the Hunter Foundation which are trying to help 'Differently biotic' kids.

'You are just like an abortion clinic but worse. You steal the right to death as they steal the right to life.' 

#Tryingtoohardtomakeitsexy
  

2 comments :

  1. Pheobe sounds great, I think I would connect with her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just love the way she's so accepting. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets